New York Stem Cell Foundation
The New York Stem Cell Foundation (NYSCF) Research Institute is a growing and successful nonprofit whose mission is to accelerate cures for the diseases of our time through stem cell research.
The New York Stem Cell Foundation (NYSCF) Research Institute is a rapidly growing and highly successful nonprofit whose mission is to accelerate cures through stem cell research. NYSCF is seeking an Associate Scientist/Scientist to join the Functional Genomics team as part of the NYSCF Global Stem Cell Array, a robotic system that automates iPSC derivation, gene editing, and downstream differentiations.
You will report to a Principal Scientist, who leads the Functional Genomics team, and provide hands-on support for the optimization and execution of genome modification and differentiation workflows by using a suite of automated robotics customized for stem cell culture. You will also work closely with members of the Global Stem Cell Array team: stem cell biologists, automation engineers, software developers, project management, and operations.
What you'll do
- Contribute to the automation of genome engineering and differentiation of human induced pluripotent stem cells (hiPSCs) in a customized cellular robotics facility
- Design, execute and generate genome edited hiPSCs, focusing on SNV edits but also contributing to the generation of functional knock-outs and knock-in of fluorescent reporter constructs
- Improve new and existing protocols for use in a high-throughput hiPSC cell line engineering pipeline and generate associated SOPs for these workflows
- Perform single cell sorting on hiPSCs
- Integrate and establish a pipeline for genome-edited pool screening analysis using MiSeq, ICE analysis or similar applications
- Train and supervise new team members on the genome editing pipeline
- Work collaboratively with NYSCF biologists, automation engineers and project management
- Execute, troubleshoot and communicate tasks independently and effectively
- Maintain extremely organized and accurate records using an ELN/LIMS
- Provide regular feedback at inter-team meetings
- Prepare data and slides and contribute to meetings with external partners
What we're looking for
- MSc/BSc in Biology or relevant scientific discipline in the field of Stem Cell Biology or/and CRISPR/Cas9 mediated genome editing
- Experience with hiPS cell culture is desired, mammalian cell culture experience is required
- Experience in molecular techniques such as PCR, cloning, gel electrophoresis, Sanger sequencing submission and interpretation is highly desired
- Motivated to learn Genome Editing Technologies
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a multidisciplinary team
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- A high proficiency in both Mac and PC computer environments
- Adaptability to work in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Organized and able to prioritize and execute tasks
- Able to analyze and interpret data and communicate results effectively
The base starting salary range for the Associate Scientist level position is $55,000 - $68000. NYSCF has a 35-hour workweek. This level is non-exempt, and additional hours worked will be overtime eligible. The base starting salary range for the Scientist level position is $68,000 - $80,000, and this level is exempt and is not overtime eligible. Final offer amounts and levels are determined by multiple factors, including your experience, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
At NYSCF, we believe diversity in all forms makes us a better team, and we celebrate it. Yet studies have shown that women, people of color, and other minoritized individuals in STEM may be less likely to apply to jobs where they do not meet all of the criteria. Therefore, if you are excited about this role but your past experience does not align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
We offer all full-time employees a comprehensive benefits package that goes into effect on the first of the month following your start date. It includes a choice of medical, dental, and vision insurance (with 100% of the premiums paid for employees and subsidies for any dependents), 403b retirement plan with 5% employer match (immediate vesting schedule which starts after your first 90 days), short and long term insurance, life insurance, inclusive paid parental leave program, pretax transit and parking, legal aid benefits and wellness benefits. Our paid time off includes vacation, sick, personal days, flexible holidays, summer flex program, and all company holidays. If a visa is required, NYSCF will cover all of those costs. Relocation will sometimes be necessary; therefore, we will provide you with an allowance.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete the required employment eligibility verification upon hire.
NYSCF is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our organization. We provide equal opportunities to all applicants for employment without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The position is based at our location in Manhattan. Our Research Institute facility is a fully COVID-19-vaccinated workplace.